This position is now closed.
WaterTAP is hiring! We’re looking for an experienced events professional to join our growing team.
Position: Events Coordinator
Application Deadline: September 30, 2018
Created under the terms of the Water Opportunities Act (2010), the Water Technology Acceleration Project (WaterTAP) was established as the Province of Ontario’s sector support and accelerator organization for drinking water, wastewater and stormwater technologies. WaterTAP’s mission is to connect Canadian water technology companies to resources that accelerate their commercialization, market adoption, and growth, with the aim of making Canada one of the top three innovation hubs for water technology globally.
The Events Coordinator is the primary point of contact for WaterTAP’s event logistics, liaising with event partners, delegates, and marketing and sales teams. With support from the VP, External Affairs and the Marketing and Communications team, the Events Coordinator plans and executes major aspects of WaterTAP’s annual flagship event – Ontario Water Innovation Week (OnWIN). This person also manages the organization’s annual event calendar, supporting both WaterTAP-led events (such as the Learning Network series and the Change Leaders Lab stakeholder consultations) and WaterTAP’s participation in industry events.
OnWIN SUPPORT (60%)
OnWIN requires year-round planning and support. Typically, the busiest months are August-October. The Events Coordinator’s responsibilities include:
- Contribute to planning OnWIN events in collaboration with key WaterTAP team members
- Manage all OnWIN event logistics, including but not limited to proposals, contracts, registration, venue, catering, AV, etc.
- Coordinate with sponsors, delegates, vendors, exhibitors, and other event partners
- Build and manage approved event budgets
- Be the point of contact onsite; coordinate WaterTAP team members and other volunteers to help execute events
- Propose and track key performance metrics for events, identify ways to improve future events, and report on success year-over-year
- Establish a “critical path” for OnWIN that includes timelines and procedures
LEARNING NETWORK, CHANGE LEADERS LAB, and GROWTH CATALYST SUPPORT (25%)
WaterTAP events also include the Learning Network series (3-4 events per year), semi-regular stakeholder consultations through the Change Leaders Lab, and other one-off events. The Events Coordinator will work with the responsible team members to ensure events go smoothly, and will hold similar responsibilities for these events as with OnWIN (see above).
Additionally, the Events Coordinator may be required to seek, lead, and/or contribute to WaterTAP Growth Catalyst projects that are aligned with WaterTAP objectives and the capabilities of the Marketing and Communications team members.
OTHER DUTIES (15%)
- Build and propose a WaterTAP events strategy that is consistent with WaterTAP’s mandate and objectives
- With support from the team, create plans for promoting WaterTAP events that are consistent with the marketing and communications strategy and builds audiences and participation
- Maintain an up-to-date internal events calendar and support WaterTAP team members who are attending or speaking at events as needed
- Maintain a robust online industry events calendar
Support (as needed) all WaterTAP departments, including the Change Leaders Lab, Client Engagement, Growth Catalyst, and Administration.
May be required to travel locally, attend client meetings, and represent WaterTAP at events.
- Building and proposing an events strategy for WaterTAP
- Meeting performance metrics aligned with the approved strategy
Education and work experience
Diploma or degree in communications, marketing, event management, hospitality, or a related field, with two+ years of proven experience in an events management role.
- Working knowledge of best practices and current trends in event management
- Demonstrated experience in working with a team of dedicated and complementary professionals, managing deadlines, and ensuring quality of deliverables
- Ability to work in a transforming and dynamic non-profit environment
Skills and attributes
- Strong organizational and planning skills; attentive to detail
- Ability to build successful, productive business relationships with partners, sponsors, vendors, and suppliers
- Self-starter, demonstrating effective self-management
- Superlative command of spoken and written English. French is an asset.
- Thinks creatively about how to approach problems and find solutions; develops new ideas
- Familiar with event management software, WordPress, and social media tools
- Collaborates with a variety of stakeholders to achieve shared vision and outcomes
- Exercises mature judgement and a high level of diplomacy and discretion
- Excellent professional presence and ability to represent the WaterTAP brand
- Interested in WaterTAP’s mission to advance Ontario’s water sector
Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply in confidence, send a cover letter and Word version resume to hr@WaterTAPontario.com.
The position will be open until September 30, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the position shall remain open until a suitable candidate has been engaged.