WaterTAP is hiring! We’re looking for a dynamic leader to fill a one-year contract to oversee our Change Leaders Lab .
Director, Change Leaders Lab (12-Month Parental Leave Contract)
Created under the terms of the Water Opportunities Act (2010), the Water Technology Acceleration Project (WaterTAP) was established as the Province of Ontario’s sector support and accelerator organization for drinking water, wastewater and stormwater technologies. WaterTAP’s mission is to connect Canadian water technology companies to resources that accelerate their commercialization, market adoption, and growth, with the aim of making Canada one of the top three innovation hubs for water technology globally.
The Change Leaders Lab
The WaterTAP Change Leaders Lab (CLL) works with water sector Change Leaders to understand and address key innovation water technology challenges facing Ontario’s water sector companies, and to use the knowledge gained to transform the adoption landscape. The CLL’s Practice Leads spearhead the Lab’s barrier reduction initiatives in the realms of small systems and large and industrial systems.
The Director, CLL, is responsible for overseeing the activities of the CLL. This person manages and focuses the CLL Practice Leads, ensures they are following the CLL process framework, and develops and tracks success measures. Ultimately, the Director ensures that the lab is moving toward its goal of addressing barriers to innovation adoption in the Canadian water sector. They also work closely with WaterTAP’s Vice President, External Affairs and coordinate government communications as they pertain to CLL activities. This position is a parental leave contract (12 months, with option to extend).
CLL DIRECTION AND SUPPORT (70%)
- Operationalize the CLL strategy and manage the CLL team
- Track defined metrics to measure success
- Ensure that the CLL team possesses the resources and training they need to achieve success This may include undertaking or arranging the following supports: research, workshop facilitation, reporting, communication with the public, and staff training
- Create a positive work environment
- Address personnel issues
- Report on CLL activities and progress to the senior management team and to the rest of the WaterTAP team
- Liaise with other WaterTAP departments (e.g., Marketing & Communications, Client Engagement). For example, working closely with WaterTAP’s Vice President, External Affairs to coordinate government communications as they pertain to CLL activities
- Present at events on behalf of WaterTAP
GROWTH CATALYST (15%)
- Responsible for seeking out Growth Catalyst and/or other special projects that are aligned with WaterTAP and/or CLL objectives and the capabilities of CLL team members
- Can be assigned to WaterTAP Growth Catalyst and/or other special projects
- When required, act as Project Manager for Growth Catalyst and/or other special projects
OTHER DUTIES (15%)
- The Marketing and Communications department to:
- Prepare a bi-monthly Policy Blog for the WaterTAP newsletter
- Plan and execute WaterTAP events
- Promote CLL outcomes across appropriate channels
- The Client Engagement department to provide company client support in the realms of government policies, regulations, and programs
- The Chief Operating Officer and the Vice President, External Affairs to manage the CLL budget
Support departmental administrative needs as needed.
The effectiveness of the Director, CLL, will be measured by:
- Executing the CLL strategy with measured progress gained on CLL barrier reduction initiatives in both small systems and large systems realms
- Successful management of the CLL team and budget
The person filling this position must have the following experience:
Education and work experience
- Degree in environmental studies, engineering, planning, or policy-related areas
- Four or more years of work experience in policy-related work
- Familiarity with the Innovation Lab concept
- Work experience within the Canadian water or social innovation sector
- Experience planning and leading projects, and working effectively with a team to complete projects
- Experience managing personnel with demonstrated excellence
Skills and attributes
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills to support a wide variety of requirements, from drafting reports to creating and delivering presentations for internal and external audiences; demonstrated ability to understand, distil, and communicate complex concepts/ideas to variety of audiences
- Excellent research skills – ability to immediately delve deeply into a new topic, pick out important information, and share relevant findings clearly and succinctly
- Experience with facilitating multi-stakeholder workshops and roundtables
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management showing success in team management, the ability to resolve conflict, and implementation of effective strategies for developing team and individual competencies
- Demonstrated experience in project management showing success in working with others, managing deadlines, and ensuring quality of deliverables
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work on a number of different initiatives concurrently
- Proficient in the use of a variety of software applications for word processing, spreadsheet preparation, and presentation preparation; easily adapts to new software applications
- Self-starter, demonstrating effective self-management and an ability to work with a team of dedicated and complementary professionals
- Thinks creatively about how to approach problems and find solutions; develops new ideas
- Collaborates with a variety of people/groups/stakeholders to achieve shared vision and outcomes
- Exercises mature judgement and a high level of diplomacy and discretion
- Respects and adheres to policies and protocols
- Excellent professional presence and ability to represent the WaterTAP brand
- Interested in WaterTAP’s mission to advance Ontario’s water sector
Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply in confidence, send a cover letter and Word version resume to hr@WaterTAPontario.com.
The closing date for applications for this position is September 30, 2018.