WaterTAP is hiring! We’re looking for an experienced marketing and communications professional to join our growing team.
Position: Manager, Marketing and Communications
Application Deadline: September 30, 2018
Created under the terms of the Water Opportunities Act (2010), the Water Technology Acceleration Project (WaterTAP) was established as the Province of Ontario’s sector support and accelerator organization for drinking water, wastewater and stormwater technologies. WaterTAP’s mission is to connect Canadian water technology companies to resources that accelerate their commercialization, market adoption, and growth, with the aim of making Canada one of the top three innovation hubs for water technology globally.
The Manager, Marketing and Communications is one of the chief champions of WaterTAP and its work with Ontario’s thriving water technology sector. This person manages and builds WaterTAP’s brand, bringing a journalistic integrity to WaterTAP’s Marketing and Communications department, and ensuring that the team produces high-quality content and materials that are attractive, targeted, and accurate. This person works closely with the VP, External Affairs to build the organization’s overall communications strategy and works with the Marketing and Communications team, as well as other WaterTAP team members, to bring it to life. The Manager, Marketing and Communications must thrive in a fast-paced, not-for-profit team environment and leverage the knowledge and experience of peers and WaterTAP’s clients and partners as part of the strategy.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS (70%)
- Support all WaterTAP marketing and communication needs with a cohesive strategy
- Ensure high-quality, targeted communication/content for WaterTAP’s audiences
- With VP, External Affairs and input from team, build upon WaterTAP’s brand and contribute to the overall strategy for WaterTAP (and partner) communications. This includes but is not limited to:
- Developing key messages for different audiences and channels
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities to share these messages, for example:
- Publishing articles in mainstream and industry publications
- Targeted opportunities for team members to speak at industry events
- Oversee the management of WaterTAP’s digital, social, and print properties to promote the organization’s mandate and activities
- Regularly report on communications performance/analytics
- Ensure the thorough review of all materials before publication
- Manage a talented team consisting of the Communications Coordinator, Events Coordinator, and Content Writer and Strategist.
GROWTH CATALYST (15%)
May be required to seek, lead, and/or contribute to WaterTAP Growth Catalyst projects that are aligned with WaterTAP objectives and the capabilities of the Marketing and Communications team members.
OTHER DUTIES (15%)
Support (as needed) WaterTAP departments, including the Change Leaders Lab, Client Engagement, Growth Catalyst, and Administration.
May be required to travel locally, attend client meetings, and represent WaterTAP at events.
The effectiveness of the Manager, Marketing and Communications, will be measured by:
- Building and proposing a Marketing and Communications strategy for WaterTAP
- Meeting performance metrics aligned with the approved strategy
- Successful management of the Marketing and Communications team and budget
The person filling this position must have the following experience:
Education and work experience
Degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or a related field, with five+ years of demonstrated management experience in a communications role.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and implementing communications, marketing and social media strategy
- Working knowledge of best practices and current trends in digital/social media
- Experience identifying and analyzing emerging issues and developing strategic responses
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management showing success in team management, the ability to resolve conflict, and implementation of effective strategies for developing team and individual competencies
- Demonstrated experience in project management showing success in working with others, managing deadlines, and ensuring quality of deliverables
Skills and attributes
- Brings a journalistic integrity to the job: extremely attentive to detail, values facts and correctness
- Superlative command of spoken and written English, understands the importance of appropriate style and tone; French is an asset
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrated experience working with consultants, graphic designers, printers, and other suppliers
- Self-starter, demonstrating effective self-management and an ability to work with a team of dedicated and complementary professionals
- Thinks creatively about how to approach problems and find solutions; develops new ideas
- Collaborates with a variety of stakeholders to achieve shared vision and outcomes
- Exercises mature judgement and a high level of diplomacy and discretion
- Ability to work in a transforming and dynamic non-profit environment
- Excellent professional presence and ability to represent the WaterTAP brand
- Interested in WaterTAP’s mission to advance Ontario’s water sector
Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply in confidence, send a cover letter and Word version resume to hr@WaterTAPontario.com.
The position will be open until September 30, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the position shall remain open until a suitable candidate has been engaged.